Thursday, July 22, 2010

Share Your Fruit!

I was reading Ready Made magazine and saw a mention of this cool website: www.neighborhoodfruit.com

This is a site where you can register your fruit trees to share your produce. They will even send you a reminder e-mail when it is harvesting season for your kind of fruit. They don't post your specific address for security reasons. People contact you through the website (your e-mail address is kept private) and you decide if you feel comfortable connecting with them. You can specify if you want them to come to your place and pick it themselves, or if you want to bring it to them somewhere. You can also long on and check out who has trees registered in your area.

I really like this idea b/c their mission is to keep fruit from going to waste. I was contacted by a man who picks fruit and delivers to a local homeless organization. I don't know if he ever came by - but I know we don't have any fruit left! Between neighbors and friends I think we found homes for most of our plums.

I also learned that you don't need a ladder to pick fruit! Here is the fruit picker tool they mention on their site. I ordered mine from Amazon and attached it to a 3/4" pvc pipe using duct tape. You could also use a telescoping painters pole. It works great!

http://www.amazon.com/Do-Best-M3-Fruit-Picker/dp/B000CZ4J6Y/ref=pd_ys_iyr_img

No comments:

Post a Comment